Monday 26 October 2009

Ericsson estimates 1GB = €1

Apologies for the radio silence over the last 2 weeks. I've been on vacation in Jordan, which was spectacular. No mobile broadband-related anecdotes I'm afraid as I didn't go anywhere near any broadband connections for the whole time I was there. Clearly the mobile phone is absolutely critical to businesses there though. It was quite surreal sitting in the desert at Wadi Rum listening to the Bedouin guides taking calls from people wanting to book themselves onto tours. Anyway, I disgress.

The interesting thing that I missed during my absence was this report from Ericsson on the cost of deploying mobile broadband. The long and short of it is that they reckon that it costs less than €1 to provide 1GB of data. Obviously there's a whole host of assumptions in there. If you're interested, take a look at the original document. This clearly has implications for pricing of mobile broadband. My assumption was that MNOs were getting pretty close to marginal cost as it is. Looks like they have quite some way to go yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment